Onslow County Partnership for Children:

We are a private non-profit agency that advocates and provides services for the healthy development of children, by building the strengths and capacities of families, care-giving professionals, and the communities in which they reside.

Paying for Child Care

Paying for child care can be a challenge for families, especially growing families!  There are a few programs dedicated to helping families pay for child care.  Child Care Resource and Referral can provide you with the average cost of care per age of child, type of care and area. Just talk with us about your financial needs and we can refer you to subsidy money that could potentially alleviate the full burden of paying for child care expenses.

Download the Average Cost of Child Care in Onslow County

Your Child Care Provider

  • Your child care provider may offer scholarships, especially if you have more than one child enrolled in the same program
  • Your child care provider may offer a sliding fee scale in which you pay based on your income
  • Your provider may offer discounts if you pay in advance of when tuition is due

Federal Child Tax Credit (CTC)

  • If you have a dependent child or children under age 17, you may be eligible to receive the CTC which is worth hundreds of dollars per child.
  • Contact your tax advisor for more information.

NACCRRA Military Fee Assistance Program

The National Child Care Resource and Referral Agency has a program called Military Fee Assistance in which the goal is to help military personnel and their families pay for child care expenses. Fee assistance will vary depending on branch of service. Information regarding this program can be found at http://www.naccrra.org/military-families or call 1-800-424-2246. A completed subsidy application is required. You can find the application at the website above.

What is Subsidized Child Care (SCC)?

SCC is a co-pay type program with a parental fee based on the family size and monthly gross income.  After approval of services the parent or responsible adult will receive a voucher to take to the licensed child care program of their choice to help pay for regular child care expenses.

The voucher is a binding agreement between the parent/responsible adult, the child care provider, and the licensing purchasing agent (Onslow County Department of Social Services), which is required to be in place before child care services can begin.  For more information, call 910-455-4145.

To qualify for subsidized child care, you must provide the following:

   If Employed

  • Pay stubs/income proof from employment, self-employment, child support veterans benefits, GI Bill
  • Work schedule from employer that includes date employment began, pay cycle, rate of pay, hours per week worked (must submit an an agency/business work hours form or work schedule on employer's letterhead)
  • Completed Work Hours Form available at www.onslowcountync.gov/socialservices/childdaycaredesc.aspx or by contacting DSS

   If in Training/Education Curriculum

  • Proof of wages, child support, etc.
  • Proof of school enrollment and school schedule
  • Proof of school grades showing satisfactory performance
  • Completed Work Hours Form available at www.co.onslow.nc.us/socialservices or by contacting DSS

   If a Teen Parent

  • Proof of school enrollment in high school, GED, or equivalent
  • Proof of any income such as wages, child support, social security, veterans benefits, etc.
  • Completed Work Hours Form available at www.co.onslow.nc.us/socialservices or by contacting DSS